|Career Level||Not Specified|
|Job Type||Not Specified|
|Company Size||Large (1000+ employees)|
|Posted Date||May 29th 2012|
Purpose of Role
The Project Manager (PM) will lead the delivery of a Project or Portfolio of Projects for signalling systems and train control equipment at a cumulative sales value of £10m-£15m per annum. Contributes to the overall Project Portfolio Management at regional level. The Project Manager will be required to work in various locations on a full or part time basis, dependent on the portfolio requirements of the business.
Annual revenue responsibility of £10 - £15 million, projects within the portfolio will range from £1 - £5m to £25m+ depending on scale and duration.
Key Activities and Accountabilities
• Responsible for the safe delivery of project, or portfolio of projects, to the 'as sold' specification meeting the project objectives within the agreed timescales and budget delivering the maximum margin, whilst ensuring that the Company Management System is applied throughout the project lifecycle.
• Be the Safety Leader for the particular Project or Portfolio of Projects that the individual has safety responsibility for.
• Implement effective Safety and Environmental management of the project ensuring that each of the project delivery functions has systems in place to cover its safety requirements. The PM shall ensure that regular audits are undertaken to ensure that the systems are in use and are effective.
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships with the Client throughout the project lifecycle.
• Act as the principle point of commercial contact within Invensys Rail between the Project Team and the Client.
• Interface with the Commercial Team during the mobilisation phase of the project to help the development of project specific execution strategies designed to meet the Clients needs and Invensys Rails business objectives.
• Interface with the Regional Engineering Manager to define Work Packages and mobilise the necessary resources required for the execution of the project. Thereafter the PM shall monitor the Work Packages against the project plan and shall allocate Non-Engineering Work Packages to relevant Work Package Managers, as required.
• Prepare and maintain throughout the project as a live document the Project Management Plan. This will detail the project implementation procedures in line with the Company Management System and the as sold Project Execution strategy.
• Ensure the implementation of Quality Assurance throughout the Project Lifecycle through effective implementation of the Invensys Rail Quality Assurance process.
• Ensuring that the necessary inputs and outputs between the functions (Client and Invensys Rail) are fully understood and detailed and delivered in accordance with the baseline programme.
• Monitor progress against the project programme, and budget, identifying and mitigating diverse trends through effective corrective management action.
• Monitor and report project progress and status throughout the project lifecycle ensuring timely and accurate reports are prepared as required by the Client and Invensys Rail.
This shall include:
- Project Planning and Earned Value based progress analysis and reporting
- Work Package Status against the Project Programme
- Resource Management
- Risk analysis and management
- Site Setup & Mobilisation
- Proactive Issue Management
- Detailed Financial analysis and control
• Accountability for Commercial Management of both Head Contract and Subcontracts.
• Responsible for managing the Contractual Scope of Supply throughout the Project Lifecycle through the implementation of the Change Management Process and the approval of any changes to scope, base lined programmes and budgets.
• Accountable for commercial and contractual correspondence as well as commercial input into the PDR process, including identification and reporting of risks, liabilities and opportunities.
• Responsible for warranty management ensuring closure of snagging list items, commercial closeout activities and final handover to After Market Support.
• Actively engage in continuous improvement through leading and participating in projects, kaizens and foundational CI (e.g. lean thinking) and supporting and implementing others' CI initiatives.
Essential Skills and Experience
• Likely to be degree/HND qualified and with previous project management experience in the rail, or allied industry.
• Previous experience of:
- Management of capital investment projects involving a high degree of Client interface.
- Delivery of project portfolios through the full project life cycle.
- Management and integration of multidisciplinary project teams.
- Development and implementation of innovative project execution strategies.
- Management of Project Control function covering Planning, Estimating, Financial Control and commercial management disciplines.
- Management of company compliance with local Health and Safety statutory obligations.
- Management of head and sub-contracts, preferably in a multi-disciplinary environment.
• Ability to maintain margin in a customer environment that often expects extras for free.
• Ability to anticipate problems and to take mitigating actions in advance of the problem being realised
• Ability to identify, integrate and manage the project stakeholders.
• Operational flexibility.
• Ability to get things done.
• Excellent interpersonal negotiation and persuasion skills.
• Ability to manage within an environment of constant change.
• Ability to manage the Client and to keep them satisfied.
• Ability to influence and lead other functions.
Desirable Skills and Experience
• Financial Control: Shall have experience of managing expenditure and control of budgets within a project environment.
• Commercial management: Shall have experience of managing project delivery compliance with Contractual terms and conditions and have commercial awareness of the requirements of the forms of contract commonly used within the signalling industry: e.g. Lump Sum, Target cost and fully reimbursable forms of contract with gain share mechanisms.